Today we’re reviewing the Leaper’s 5th Gen Red/Green Dot.
Originally, we started researching this optic for a law enforcement officer in Maryland. He wanted the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) because it was the “best”. But at a $400 pricetag, I felt like we could help him keep some of his hard-earned money but still get the performance he was looking for.
Here are the stats we found on the two different optics:
|Leaper’s UTG 4.2″ ITA Red/Green Dot Sight with Riser Adaptor, QD Mount & Flip-open Lens Caps:||Aimpoint PRO:|
Great Field of View and Unlimited Eye Relief
Target Dot reticle consists of a single floating dot in the center as the aiming point with the least visual distraction. It is commonly used for quick aiming applications with lower demand for pin-point accuracy. The shooter aims by pointing the dot on the target. Target Dot may be permanently etched on glass or formed by light reflection. For an etched dot, you can use the dot for aiming with or without illumination and the scope may come with variable magnifications. The dot size can be controlled to as small as 2MOA with sharp and clear edges. For a reflex dot, the sight usually does not have magnification and there is an unlimited eye relief. The reflex dot is a reflected image of the light source with common characteristics from any light reflection, including possibly slight flare and fuzziness of the dot. The typical dot size is 5MOA.
Technology ACET (Advanced Circuit Efficiency Technology)
Lightsource LED (Light Emitting Diode) totally eye-safe
Temperature range -45° – +71° C, (50°- +160° F)
Length 130mm, (5.1”)
* 1 MOA ˜ 30 mm at 100 meters ˜ 1” at 100 yards.
|MSRP: $54.97||MSRP: $409|
|Link to Leaper’s Site: http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=optic&itemno=SCP-DS3840W||Link to Aimpoint’s Site: http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/PRO/|
As you can see, the Leaper’s UTG Red/Green dot has a LOT of the same features as the Aimpoint PRO (size, etc) but gives the ability to have red or green dot reticle.
And with a 2 year warranty, the officer will have PLENTY of time to use it in the field, bang it up, get some wear on it, and really see how it operates without worrying about breaking it.
The officer was also concerned about battery life. As you can see, the Aimpoint has a 3 year battery life, using a 3V Lithium battery. The Leaper’s UTG has a battery SHELF life of 10 years. The thing is, it uses the same 3V Lithium battery used in Aimpoint PROs!
The biggest difference between the two? Price.
The Aimpoint PRO has an MSRP of $400. The Leapers UTG comes in at $54.97.
Our advice: Give the Leaper’s UTG Red/Green dot a shot. We’ve got em in stock right now and can mail them today! Visit the FSD Shop to Grab Your Leaper’s UTG Red/Green Dot!
A lot of you may not be familiar with the company – even though their accessories appear on firearms you have in your possession right now!
A recent article in Shotgun News shed some light on one of the many, many reasons we LOVE Leapers scopes, accessories, and rifle parts. Here are just a few:
1. Leapers is the epitome of the American Dream: Leapers was founded by couple David and Tina Ding. David, a former Taiwanese police officer who followed his wife to America when she came to earn her Masters in Sociology at the University of Chicago.
Knowing ZERO English, David experienced a series of events (from becoming a computer language programmer for the Ford Motor Company to reading Guns & Ammo magazine in order to learn the language) which prepared him for success.
It was his love of our country and all that it stands for that made David Ding want to start a business here. And where else would an immigrant in search of the American dream put his future empire? Just outside of Detroit, MI, of course!
2. Leapers’ optics are some of the most reliable in the business: Some shops are content to be “as good as their competition” while having all of their parts made overseas. Not Leapers.
- Leapers scopes are machines from solid aluminum billets, not just thin tubes like most scopes are.
- The extra-strong coiled springs give them a greater range of adjustment. This is why Leapers’ scopes can adjust down to just 9 feet (perfect for airgunners) in some products.
- The top scopes in their line have etched-glass reticles instead of wire (think: extra precision and resistance to recoil).
- When the illumination is turned on? Most scopes light up the entire inside of the scope tube. Leaper’s scopes only light up the crosshairs, giving a better line of sight to what you’re aiming for.
3. Leapers is always pushing the envelope: Not content to merely be “better than their competition”, Leapers holds team meetings 5 days a week to pass around prototypes and test out flexibility, adjustability, and range on scopes for rifles, crossbows, and any other type of firearm.
Sure, it’d be easy to get to the top of the heap and celebrate…but these guys don’t rest on their laurels! They’re constantly pushing to have better adjustments on their scopes, tighter fittings, and truly provide optics and mil-spec firearms accessories of a higher quality for extremely reasonable prices.
This includes AR, AK, Saiga, H&K, FN, SKS, and other firearm types – even Garand and M1 Carbines!
Leapers knows that, by focusing on what the customers WANT instead of what’s CONVENIENT for them to make, that they can dominate the market and even get better pricing than Chinese manufacturers! Their corporate slogan is “The Best Never Rest!”
As a stocking dealer for Leaper’s, Fighting Sheep Dog is PROUD to offer their full line of optics, accessories, and even Airsoft guns.
If there’s anything you need to order and don’t see it on our website, just let us know and, like Leaper’s, we’ll do everything within our power to make it happen.